Wednesday, April 16, 2008

IVIG Update

Well, the day was a long (about 10 hrs) and proved trying. I keep thinking I have learned the meaning of trust, and the Lord keeps showing me there is much room to grow. We arrived at 8:00 and didn't start until almost 10:00. So in between that time was a lot of stress. I won't go into all the details, but I will share one. We forgot the lab slip from Dr. Pranzatelli at home. The blood had to be drawn before the IVIG was started, and it was going to be a seven hour infusion. If we didn't get started right away, we were going to have to be admitted to the hospital. So, since we had the special tubes for the blood draw just no orders stating what to do with the blood, the nurse went ahead and drew the blood so we could start the IVIG. She remarked, "this is a lot of blood to draw." I told her that Annabelle's blood clots FAST, and that we have had to do it twice in the past because it clotted before it could be put into the vials. She drew two large syringes and then a smaller one. As soon as she was done, I watched her put them in the special vials. The two large ones were fine, and the last little one clotted that quickly. The two large ones are what we needed to have for the research Dr. P is doing. It is a praise that the port worked, and we got all the important blood we needed. (Later the line pulled out of her port - not my fault this time - and and we were able to redraw the little vial then.)

A few more answers to prayer:
- We followed Dr. P's protocol (with a little urging).
- Her port worked well.
- We got the same room we were in last time.
- Annabelle got a little nap (in my arms - there isn't a bed).
- To date our insurance has payed for all of our treatments.

A prayer concern:
- A girl came to the clinic today (and we walked right by her) that had spots all over her that looked like chicken pox. They stuck her in a room right away, and called a doctor to come check her. This is very bad because everyone in the clinic is immune suppressed to some extent. The doctor said he didn't think she had chicken pox but probably something post viral. I am not a doctor, but when I saw her my mind screamed "chicken pox." The girl's mom thought it was chicken pox because she had been exposed at school. Either way, it scared me. I know God has every detail of our lives in His sovereign control, and I am trying to trust in Him. Please pray that God would continue to strengthen our faith.

No comments: